Monday, April 16, 2012

Am I doing the right thing......Passes/Transport

Just want to confirm I am doing the right thing...My partner and I will be in Paris May 2006 for 1 week. We will be staying in Villa-Fenelon in the 9th arrondissement. We will be doing a lot of walking to closeby attractions etc. but will also be using public transport. Pere Lachaise, Catacombs, Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame are the main monuments we want to see, plus lots of walking %26quot;self%26quot; tours aroound (will wait till we are there and see what takes our fancy besides the definates listed previous). We want to do our own day trip to Versailles with a quick stop at Giverny. Possibly our own Chartres day trip, if we feel up to it or have time.



So....... given this info, I believe with my %26quot;studies%26quot;, that the most cost effective way to do the above would be to buy the Carte Orange (hebdo) for zones 1%26amp;2, Then to get to Versailles, Giverny, Chartres, purchase those as separate tickets. Also I think we need the Carte Musees et Monuments. Can someone tell me am I correct in this being the best option?



Thanks for help....




|||



Nell,





That is an extremely intense itinerary for one week. You will be very lucky to get all that in.





The carte orange should work for you-- but I would not buy the other tickets in advance because you may not make it to these other destinations.





Versailles, Chartres and Giverny are all trips that will take you one day each. That%26#39;s three days already out of 7... and that is not taking into account the time you will likely want to spend at the Louvre and other museums. Soooo you may decide to leave one or two of those places off the itinerary.





Also, do the half day tour I suggested the first day you get there and then go back and spend more time at the places you are interested in. That will save a lot of time and allow you to enjoy the city so you are not totally exhausted each day. You are young and you are going to want enough energy to get out and enjoy some nightlife as well.




|||



The cost effectiveness of a cart orange will also vary, depending on the day of your arrival. They are only valid Monday-SUnday and sales end Wed. of each week.



Versailles with a quick stop at Giverney is not really an option by public transportation, so this would require two seperate trips.



Carte Musee Monuments is not necessarily cost effective, it is more of a time saver, as it gets you line jumping priviledges. You can now buy your Louvre tickets at any metro station for the same priviledges and buy your Beaubourg tickets on line, at no extra cost. Therefore the only crowded places that this card saves you time is at the Musee d%26#39;Orsay and at Versailles (here you can skip the lines by taking a guided tour, which also gives you access to rooms that are closed to the genral public).




|||



Don%26#39;t forget to include in your itinerary the Sacre Couer/Montmarte visit. It%26#39;s another famous attraction. Great scenery and great place to buy souvenirs...




|||



Hiya Mascara!



I am definately doing the monuments tour on the first day (or soon after arriving). I am getting mixed messages though re: Giverny, Chartres, Versailles, even by Paris locals. Some say 2 can be done in a day, others say no. I think I will choose one trip, then see how we go for time with the others, depends on whether we get to do our %26quot;definates list%26quot; around the city.





Phread, I think I will miss the Carte Monuments Pass as there are only about 5 places listed that are covered. Will pay-as-we-go and take pot luck with the lines at Musee de Orsay %26amp; Versaille.





Thanks G_explorer, that was on my list, although I need help in eliminating things to do, not adding them =)




|||



Hi Nell,





One of the city tours SHOULD include Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur. The ones I%26#39;ve been on also allow for time to walk around the area behind the church as well. You%26#39;ll know which pace is best for you once you get there and start going. Like I said in your other post, just allow yourself flexiblity and have fun. Anything you miss this time can be saved for NEXT time! ;)




|||



Hi Nell,





I think your itinerary is fine. I try to plan one %26quot;site%26quot; each morning and afternoon, doing my best to keep them in the same general area. For example, I wouldn%26#39;t plan on going to Luxembourg followed by Montmarte. Instead, while on Ile de la Cité to see Notre Dame, you can also see St. Chappelle, the Conciergerie and the flower market. That would take up one morning with at least an hour for each location. That way you%26#39;re not zig-zagging all over the city. This leaves plenty of time for wandering and exploring and a nice relaxed lunch. Another thing that may help is to decide on your %26quot;absolutes%26quot; and then get to them in the morning (before lines start.) Put your %26quot;optionals%26quot; in the afternoon and DO NOT be afraid to change your mind or not see something (or see something else instead.) Just because you make an intinerary doesn%26#39;t mean it%26#39;s a bible.





Also, Phread was right, Giverny and Versailles aren%26#39;t close enough to do together in one day unless you do a tour. We took one and felt we didn%26#39;t have enough time at either. So I%26#39;d plan a day for each which includes train time.





Finally, I loved my carte orange. I think I burned a hole in it from overuse. If you figure you%26#39;ll be making more than 10 metro trips then the pass is the way to go. Have a WONDERFUL time, May is such a beautiful time to be in Paris. :)




|||



Three day trips out of Paris in a week (day of arrival / day of departure reduces this) are a lot...and you will probably need to prioritize. By all means do the research on all three (and then remember to bring it along with you) and then decide on which--or any--you want to do as mood and time allow. All three are easily %26#39;do-able%26#39; all on your own. When looking at your proposed itinerary, bear in mind that both CHATEAU de VERSAILLE and most of GIVERNY are CLOSED on MONDAYS.





Since the CARTE MUSÉE et MONUMENTS pass is a worthwile purchase and readily available once you arrive in Paris. You can easily wait until you arrive to purchase it. But also bear in mind the %26#39;..timing..%26#39; of things. The museum pass is valid for CONSECUTIVE calendar-days, from the FIRST day of use. It will be valid for entry to Chateau de Versaille...but not for Monet%26#39;s Home %26amp; Gardens or Musée des Arts Americain at Giverny..and not applicable in Chartres. So take the %26#39;..timing..%26#39; factor into consideration when deciding on the number of days you purchase this pass for.




|||



Thanks guys!!! Geez, I am TRYING to keep the %26quot;freedom%26quot; factor in this trip, but it%26#39;s kinda hard when working out the passes KDKSail, when things are open etc, you have to get it all in sync.



Mascara, I%26#39;m so scared there probably won%26#39;t be a next time, so I%26#39;m overloading =) but doing my best to pull back %26amp; prioritise.



Thanks for your tips JustGrace...I know I will have a wonderful time no matter what.




|||



There will be a next time Nell :)





I took my %26quot;once in a lifetime%26quot; trip to Europe 4 years ago and have been back to Paris twice since then. And am planning an extended stay for 2007. Nothing is impossible, some things can just be more difficult. But if you want it, you%26#39;ll find a way.




|||



woops. I forgot to add... unfortunately, you do have to plan ahead just a bit if you have certain museums you *must* see because of closures and such. I forget the details (which is why I make lists) but if you do a search on words like %26quot;closed%26quot;, %26quot;mondays%26quot;, and %26quot;tuesdays%26quot; you should be able to find which museums and monuments are open which days. after that you can be as fancyfree as you want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment