Monday, April 16, 2012

Planning first trip to Paris

I%26#39;m beginning to plan my first trip to Paris. We are a young married couple with no children. What areas should I look at staying? When is the best time of year to visit. Any other information that would assist me in my research will be greatly appreciated.




|||



Can you tell us a litle more to help narrow down some choices for you to make? How long of a stay, do you like busy or quiet neighborhoods, budget, what are your interests: museums, tours, side trips, food, books, shopping? How about weather hot or cold or crowds do you mind them or no problem? In the early planning stages all of these things seem over whelming but once you have in mind the type of experience you want it all falls into place. This site is a great help and all who contribute can add something to your plans. Happy planning! i wish it were me....




|||



I%26#39;m looking at 5-7 day trip. Interested in site seeing, eating (of course), and some shopping. I prefer the weather to be comfortable 50-75 degrees, being from Oklahoma we have the extreme on both ends cold (at least we should be) in winter and very very hot in the summer. Lately its been changing dramatically here, a couple days ago we were in the 70s now today it%26#39;s snowing! Budgeting for a hotel less than $300 a night. I%26#39;m considering travelling to another close country while there for a day or two days. This is a trip I%26#39;ve always wanted to do since I was a little girl, especially after taking 3 years of French in High school. I will definitely need some refreshing on the language.




|||



Crowds and busy neighborhoods don%26#39;t bother me. Just want to experience Paris to the best of my ability.




|||



Hello LauraGuth, maybe Montmartre would be a nice place for a young couple. You have lots of boutiques, bars and restaurants in that area and since Paris is not a huge city and has a great public transport system, it will not be hard to visit all the sites.





I find that using the bus is a great way to take a tour for the price of a metro/bus ticket.





High season in Paris is about mid April till the end o July and then again in September and October.





You could probably expect 50-60 degrees in April and in May and sometimes September and if we went by 2005 even in late October. So you do have some choice.





If you are looking to fly at a time of year when it is not so expensive though, I have found that March is great for that.





I had a friend you stayed in a lovely studio apartment in Montmartre located on rue Lepic where you have a great outdoor food market. The rate is great 500 euros for 7 nights in a fully equipped apartment and no sofa beds or foutons but a real bed. www.feelslikehomeinparis.com/LovelyLepic.html




|||



It will be less expensive and much less crowded if you can travel in March/April or Sept/Oct. Skip the other months. Favorite hotel: Hotel Esperance in the far end of the Latin Quarter. Untouristy area, with fabulous market street and restaurants nearby. Favorite restaurant: Relais d%26#39;Entrecote - a steak %26amp; frites restuarant our family has enjoyed for 40 years. Buy the museum pass for three consecutive days. It not only saves you money, but more importantly - you pass up the entire line and go straight in. Saves a ton of time. Buy metro tickets in a %26quot;carnet%26quot; of 10 tickets - you get a discount and you just use them whenever you need them. Be sure to double check for holidays during your visit. It may affect bank closings, etc. and hence your ability to get into certain museums, change money, etc.




|||



Laura, you have been looking forward to this trip for years, you absolutely must stretch it out to at least 7 to 10 days. Five days is just not enough. Your first day you are tired ( jet lagged) so that leaves only FOUR days to see sights, plus you are interested in another country!!!





Trust me you won%26#39;t regret adding a couple of days, as no matter how long you go for it is never long enough!



I would stay anywhere %26quot; near the river%26quot; , the 5th and 6 arr. especially.Try not to get a hotel too far out as Paris is all about walking , and although the metro( subway) is great, you don%26#39;t see any scenery underground.LOL




|||



Dear LauraGuth,





I think you might like the Latin Quarter (the 5th Arrondismont). It is a very colorful neighborhood and close to all of the major tourist sights. I stayed there with my 24 year old niece and she loved it. We stayed at the Best Western Jardin de Cluny and enjoyed our stay there.





I also love the Marais and St. Germain des Pres, which are the 4th and 6th Arrondismont, respectively. In the Marais, I stayed at the Caron de Beaumarchais and in St. Germain des Pres, I%26#39;ve stayed at the Hotel Verneuil.





All of the above areas are within easy walking distance of the major sights and Paris is also blessed with a great Metro system, which will take you most everywhere you want to go.





Bon voyage and bon chance!




|||



Laura, I also had a lifelong dream of going to Paris (took 7 years of French and wanted to actually speak it!) I finally went for 4 days in November on what I was calling my %26#39;first%26#39; trip to Paris. And sure enough, I%26#39;m headed back in March for a longer visit. I did a lot of research on hotels and stayed at Hotel St-Jacques in the Latin Quarter. Very reasonably priced with lots of character, very friendly staff. I LOVED the Latin Quarter, with all its bars and cafes and shops. But my best experience of Paris was foregoing some of the famous sights like the Louvre and just walking through neighborhoods and discovering places. I would definitely recommend walking through Marais, especially on a Sunday when most of the shops are open but closed elsewhere in Paris. Have a wonderful trip -- I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll have a great time no matter where you stay or when you go!




|||



I have spent the past 5 Septembers in Paris


(4 in the Latin Quarter; that should tell


you something).



In addition to the Cluny, rue Mouffetard,


the Contrascarpe, there are many other sites


to see there.



You can easily walk to the 2nd, 3rd,


4th and 6th. Metro stations are very close


to take you further afield.



There is good night life in the 5th


as well as the 6th.



A good map like STREETWISE - PARIS is essential


to locate things you want to see and how to


get there.



Best Wishes




|||



Hi LauraGuth,



We spent our honeymoon in Paris this past October. The weather was great. We had expected more rainy weather, but only needed the umbrella a couple of times. We%26#39;re from Oklahoma as well. We were there for one week, and wish we could have stayed at least another week. There is so much to see and do. We stayed in the city, but next trip we plan to go out and see other sights as well. We found the city to be beautiful and the people very helpful and friendly. We stayed at Hotel Vernet. A very nice hotel, great service and great location. Have a wonderful trip and savor every moment in romantic Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment