Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Prices in Paris

I am curious how the pricing is in Paris. Do better sides of town have better deals? I am going to Paris 4/1/06-4/9/06. Is there anything that I should know for this time of year? I have been reading Frommers Paris guide, but I would still rather hear it from an actual person who has been there. I can understand that High End Shopping and Eating will be pricey, but what about small cafe%26#39;s and bistro%26#39;s? What I am actually asking, is it expensive in Paris, or is it reasonable? Is a cup of coffee going to run 5 EU? Are souvenirs outrageously priced? What about the discount shopping, is it actually discounted? Please let me know, time is running out for me!!!



Thank you all my Trip Advisor Buddies!




|||



A cup of coffee in a place like Deux Magots or Flore is going to run high, yes, around 5 euros (although I don%26#39;t know their prices by heart). A neighborhood cafe will be cheaper. Cafes in areas that are less %26quot;chic%26quot; will be cheaper as well (for instance, your cup of coffee at the neighborhood cafe in the 20th will not cost as much as the one in the middle of the 6th, in general).



Same with drinks. A drink in a bar like the Hemingway bar at the Ritz can be up to 20 euros. A drink at a lesser bar will be less. The neighborhood simple cafe/bar will be the least expensive.



You will always see prices marked on windows of cafes, restaurants and hotels so that you aren%26#39;t taken by surprise.



Souvenirs tend to be cheap, unless you%26#39;re buying Limoges and the like. Your average tee shirt, Eiffel tower trinket, etc. is cheap.



There%26#39;s a little of everything there, like any big city. Yes, it%26#39;s probably more expensive than your city, but you have plenty of choice.





Les




|||



if you know London, it should a bit less pricey. You should find (it is the law) the prices listed outside the cafés, and also menus outside the restaurants. if you find a café is expensive, go to a less busy area, away from the big roads and then you should discover something less pricey. An expresso is about 2 to 2,50 euros if you sit down (standing at the bar it is cheaper).




|||



Hi Raphy:





Thanks for the information. It will be very helpful. Tell me, since you live in Paris about shopping for clothes. When I am there, I plan to get a cool outfit for when I go out to the Club Queen. I know that it is for Gay Men, but I don%26#39;t care I am just doing it for fun. Where can I go to get trendy clothes for good prices? And what about the Flea Markets, are there good deals there? Please respond, Thank you. Wendy




|||





Wendy,



I don%26#39;t know if you are particularly interested what I have to say, but I thought I could let you know that Queen is not a breeze to get into. Normally, ou have to be gay man and fabulous, with a fabulous gay man, and dressed to their liking particularly if you are a female. I%26#39;ve been with gay friends and it was touch and go every time.



However, I do know that Monday night is %26quot;straight%26quot; night, lots of disco...and easier to get in.





Les




|||



Thanks Les. That is good to know. I will forward that information to my friend that I am going with. I looked at the website and it did look totally bizarre to a farm girl from WI like me, but I thought what the hell ya know, you only live once. Can you tell me how the Flea Markets are there? Where could I find trendy clothes at reasonable prices? Any suggestions?




|||



I%26#39;ve never seen any clothes at the Flea markets that I would wear to go clubbing in one of the major clubs of Paris. I think you should probably look elsewhere for something to wear.





When are you going?





Les




|||



I am going from 4/1/06 - 4/9/06. Definitely want to get some Parisian Couture. Not just for clubbing but also to wear at home as well. The discount shopping I was reading about in on Frommers Destination Paris website doesn%26#39;t really tell me much. Thats why I am asking about how much things cost over there. I still have alot of research to do but needed some insight from someone, anyone who has been there. Please advise.Thanks Les.




|||



I think prices in Paris for food and restaurants (remember that prices are all inclusive in Parisian restaurants) are higher than in Boston.



Clothes however are cheaper in Boston than in Paris. I am comparing apples with apples here, similar products.



If you sit at a famous sidewalk cafe, prices will be high. One day at Les 2 Magots, we were about to order a diet coke when we noticed that a glass of champagne was only 2 Euros more. So we had champagne!



For a quick (cheap) coffee, stand at the counter and avoid big names cafes. I only do that when I want a hit of caffeine in the morning or... when I have to use their bathroom. Otherwise it is kind of nice to sit and watch the world go by.



For trendy clothes go to the Marais.



One discount place that I like is called La fille aux bas nylon in Passage Choiseul.



Some markets have good clothes (not a wide selection). Sunday morning in Neuilly is such a market.



Most brands will have a stand in department stores so go and check them out.



I like Printemps because it is not as crowded as Galeries Lafayette and clothes are displayed by style and price.



Young and trendy will be on one floor.



Women on a different floor. High end on a separate floor etc.



You can do the duty free %26quot;trick%26quot; or with an American passport you get automatic 10% rebate if you ask for a voucher at customer service. Customer service at Printemps is at left entrance at rue Caumartin.




|||



Wendy,



If you want a real bargain for some great Parisian fashions for less (but they still might be expensive, since a lot of this is designer) try any of these:





La Clef des Marques



Address 124 bd. Raspail, 75006



Metro: Notre Dame des Champs



Tel: 01 45 49 31 00



Also at: 86 rue Faubourg St. Antoine, 75012



20 place Marché St. Honoré, 75001





Le Mouton à Cinq Pattes



Address 19 rue Grégoire de Tours, 75006



Metro: Odéon



Tel: 01 43 29 73 56



Also at: 15 rue Vieille du Temple, 75004



138 blvd. St. Germain des Près, 75006



8, 10, 12 rue St. Placide, 75006





Réciproque



Address 89-123 rue de la Pompe, 75016



Metro: Rue de la Pompe



Tel: 01 47 04 30 28







Otherwise, try Morgan, La City, and the shops in the Marais as the above poster mentions or in the Latin Quarter, particularly along Blvd. St. Michel. Also you could probably find stuff around the Beaubourg area (Pompidou center area, with Les Halles, a terrible but funky underground mall)....



I don%26#39;t think you%26#39;ll have to go all the way to the flea market to find things...





Les




|||



To answer your price question... I had lunch today in a bistro in the 12th which is a bit out of the center away from the crowds. We had two main courses, a coke, a sparkling water and two coffees. Total was 29 euros for two including tax and tip which is always included in the total price so there%26#39;s nothing to add to the bill. I usually tip a euro or a little less per person however if the service is good. I think the main tip for better pricing on food is to wander away from the main tourist areas. Even a few streets can make a big difference in price.





For high end discount shopping i enjoy the La Vallee Village which is in the burbs but accessible by a 40 minute RER ride. You can check to see what brands they have on their website. If you like the brands you should find something. Don%26#39;t expect piles of clothes to dig though at 5 dollars each. Its more of a real boutique feel and prices vary from 33 percent off min to 50 percent and more.





www.lavalleevillage.com/lavallee/home.asp…





If you do decide to go, dont be confused by the full price shopping mall that is there also. You have to walk through that mall after you get off the RER. Exit from the food court which is at the opposite end of the mall and that will take you into the outlet mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment