Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hotel Recommendation - Gare du Nord?

I will be staying in Paris for just for a few days. I will be arriving from the Charles de Gaule and leaving by the Gare du Nord by train for London. For this reason I was considering a hotel room around la Gare du Nord. I know this is not the most touristique center of Paris but figure it would be convenient with the suitcase and all. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Or any recommendation for a hotel?








|||



My family stayed at The New Hotel which is just across the street from Gare du Nord. It%26#39;s not fancy by any standard, but it%26#39;s clean and comfortable with airconditioning so you can close the windows if you want. It%26#39;s also affordable. I wouldn%26#39;t have a problem staying there again.




|||



If it%26#39;s just a few days why not opt for getting away from the busy area around a train station? We%26#39;re concerned about the baggage thing too, but would prefer being located somewhere else. We%26#39;re stayin at a place in the 7th.




|||



If it%26#39;s more than a few hours, I would stay somewhere else. A few days (2, 3, 4, whatever) is deserving of a decent place in a nice neighborhood...





If you want to be on the right bank, try the Galileo in the 8th...





Les




|||



I second The New Hotel. We stayed there a few years back on our first trip to Paris. We thought it was just right, good price, breakfast, location, the owners were terrific. There is a cafe/bistro next door on the corner that we a had the best steak and Champange late one night. There is also an entrance to the metro right there on that same corner. This was a few years back but I would stay there again if I had your criteria.




|||



The Terminus Nord directly opposite the main Gare du Nord exit, 3 to 4 star (different guide books and travel companies give different number of stars). But... book it directly with them (Libertel Mercure) on their Web site to get the best deal.


And as for the stories (including on this site) about the area being %26#39;bad%26#39; ignore them, they seem to be people with an axe to grind!




|||



if i had a few days i would stay in a different area. Although i felt fine in the neighbourhood(i stayed in the hotel magenta, it was like a -2 star hotel :p), i did hear sirens quite often during the night. there is a lot of street traffic there.




|||



Thanks all for the great info. The more I look the more I think I will stay with the location (near Gare du Nord. So far I have 2 choice:



Villa Saint-Martin and Campanile Paris Gare du Nord. I must admit that Mercure Terminus Nord just looks gorgeous and probably coulds ask for a better location, but the price is a little steep... Anyone stayed at the above? Any recommendation?




|||



Yes the Terminus Nord can look expensive but it is worth it - but as I said in my previous post book on Mecure%26#39;s own Web site (http://www.mercure.com/mercure/index.html) for the best deal.


Also remember their prices are per room, which as we in the UK know makes a huge difference when we are still being ripped-off by being charged per person, and if you are single you have to pay more on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment