Monday, April 16, 2012

4 days in Paris

I%26#39;ve got 4-5 days in Paris, the week of Easter Friday. It%26#39;s time that I%26#39;ve got between tours (coming from Jordan and next one is Morocco) so I%26#39;ve decided to spend it in Paris (first time there)





I%26#39;d really like to get some comments on the things I%26#39;m planning to do... ...whether it is realistic or not (I think there are so many things I am going to miss out on)





I arrive in early in the morning on the Monday and I%26#39;m sure that the first thing I%26#39;m going to want to do is get a few hours sleep, so I%26#39;m only going to be left with the afternoon that day. So I thought that I%26#39;d try to see the Eiffel tower, Arc de Triomphe and a walk down the Champs-Elysees.





Next day Tuesday I%26#39;m considering taking the day at Versailles.





Wednesday - Morning at Louvre (Is two half days at the Louvre is better than one full day - comments?) and then spend the afternoon exploring the Latin Quarter.



Evening - I was considering going to Moulin Rouge - for the show only - reviews seem to indicate that the meal isn%26#39;t great - comments?





Thursday - I%26#39;d like to go back to the Louvre, but I%26#39;m undecided about morning or afternoon. Is it a late night on Thursday? Does it tend to be less crowded in the evenings?



Also I%26#39;d like to go to Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame, but I think I%26#39;m running out of time to see both of them - recommendations here please





Friday (Good Friday) - I fly out at about midday so I don%26#39;t know that with it being a public holiday and the fact that I%26#39;ve got to get to the airport that I%26#39;ve got much chance of planning anything for that day.





Comments on the above please!!!!




|||



First, unless you plan on paying for a hotel for the night before you arrive, you may not be able to get into your room until the afternoon. I think that may be a good thing anyway. Better to stay up and try to adjust. I might consider taking a boat ride on the Seine in the morning if the weather is decent.





It%26#39;s very hard to give someone else advice, but if you enjoy art, I would spend some time in some of the smaller museums (Rodin, Jaquemart Andre, Picasso etc. and definitely go to D%26#39;Orsay. But only you can decide in the end. Notre Dame is also a %26quot;must%26quot; imo. I%26#39;d see what you want to see at the Louvre and see how much time you have. Unless Versailles has been a dream of yours, I%26#39;d skip it on this trip.





Sacre Coeur is near the Moulin Rouge if you decide to do that. Agree you can take a pass on food. I%26#39;ve also heard other people say, when this question is asked





%26quot;With all that there is to do in Paris, you are thinking of going to a Las Vegas-style show aimed at tourists?%26quot;





I went and thought it was %26quot;an experience,%26quot; but I had longer than 4 nights and don%26#39;t live as far away.





Sounds like a wonderful trip.




|||



Thanks for that.





I take your point about the hotel - I will check with them. It%26#39;s not a matter of jet lag (Amman is only 2hrs different to Paris) -it will be just pure tiredness. How%26#39;s this for crazy - due to the type of airfares I%26#39;m using I have to be at the airport in Amman at 2am(!) then have to hub via Frankfurt to get to Paris. Don%26#39;t worry there are other benefits I get with this airfare - like upgrades to business class on the longhaul parts... ...but I digress.





How long would you recommend to spend at Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur - I want to get a reasonable look at them, not a whistle stop tour.





Also if anyone could please give me advice on the Louvre that would much appreciated.




|||



Hi Nettie



You helped me so much on the NZ forum - I hope I can return the favour. You will be on your trip at the same time we are in NZ.



The Louvre - you COULD spend your whole 4 days there and still not see it all. I think your best plan is to work out what you really want to see (go online or use a guidebook) and plan a route from one to the other (this museum is HUGE) and count anything else you see on the way as a bonus. Most people find that 2 half days is better than 1 big day because after a while it is all a bit overwhelming. Just a tip if you go in the morning you can still use your ticket to go back later that same day rather than pay again to go the next day. Depends whether saving a few Euros is worth changing your schedule. The one time I went in the evening it wasn%26#39;t as crowded as during the day but I don%26#39;t know if that is always the case?



Have you considered the Musee D%26#39;Orsay? I hate to give you something else to cram into your time. Museums and art are a very personal thing but that is my favourite.



You%26#39;re trip sounds wonderful. You are going to absolutely LOVE Jordan - it is an amazing place!



HarleyB




|||



Monday - sounds great.



Next day Tuesday - I am pretty sure that Versaillesis closed Tuesdays. Check it out online or doing a search above.



Wednesday - (Is two half days at the Louvre is better than one full day - comments?) YES -- and then spend the afternoon exploring the Latin Quarter - Notre Dame is adjacent and you will most likely have both the time and the energy to visit the Cathedral on this day.



Thursday - I%26#39;d like to go back to the Louvre, but I%26#39;m undecided about morning or afternoon. Is it a late night on Thursday? Cna%26#39;t recall, search their site, it is in English -- Does it tend to be less crowded in the evenings? - YES



You could start your day at Sacre Coeur, explore Montmartre then end your day at the Louvre.



Friday (Good Friday) - Don%26#39;t know your flight times, but Public holidays are generally very quite and there is usually less traffic.




|||



Merci beaucoup!





HarleyB - I really hope you enjoy your trip to NZ - you are going to see some great places.





I%26#39;ve got to say that I%26#39;m really looking forward to my trip and it all seems just too tooo far away at the moment.





Kia Ora

No comments:

Post a Comment