Saturday, April 21, 2012

CDG question.

I just added this at another post. A TA member mentioned that American Airlines is not near the restaurants, shopping areas. I will be flying out of CDG at 10:40 am. AA wants passengers 3 hours earlier for check-in, so my family would arrive at about 7:30 am. Origionally, I thought we would grab breakfast at airport, to pass the time, once we have checked in. If this wouldn%26#39;t work then we would eat an early breakfast at our hotel first. I%26#39;d like to hear from people who are familiar with AA at airport, and any suggestions. Thanks, Anita




|||



In my experience, there are very few eating establishments at CDG and the ones that do exist, don%26#39;t open very early in the morning. Also in my experience, outbound flights to the States are all in the AM, so you need every bit of that three hours of check-in time because there are throngs of people in line, and there never seems to be enough agents or security people. What I do is the night before departure I pick up some fruit, croissants and juice in a plastic bottle from nearby bakeries/markets, along with a bottle of water. (Every time I have been to CDG for a departure it has been stifling hot in there.) I bring all of it with me to the airport. Once I am checked in and through the security gauntlet, I grab a quick bite in the departure area. Most of the time I don%26#39;t have a whole lot of time, but it%26#39;s better than nothing.




|||



once you check in there is very little in the way of eating establishments(i made the mistake of waiting!!!) its terrible really, especially if you are a north american that likes a hearty breakfast before travelling. They have the self serve style cafeteria with some mass prepared omelettes, but they aren%26#39;t very good. i dont know what the solution is though. CDG just doesnt seem to be well equipped for eats and drinks after a passenger goes through the security gates. You will find more perfume and tie shops than food shops.




|||



I often get my breakfast at CDG, and it%26#39;s usually terrible. What I%26#39;ve resorted to is cookies and a bottle of water or orange juice.





Unless you can get to a bakery before you head out, you%26#39;re a bit stuck on the food issue.





Les




|||



You will need every minute of those 3 hours before check in time! In my experience, at CDG I found it to be rather confusing. Last time I was at CDG, my flight was going to leave at 8:05 am. When we got there at 5 am, the airport was pretty much closed--no one at the check in desks. No one at the security check (it was closed)... We weren%26#39;t even able to check ourselves in electronically cuz that was closed too! And don%26#39;t get me started about the duty free shopping! Those were closed as well. We waited for about an hour. Finally 2 people showed up to open up the Air France counter. We were closer to the beginning of the line. We checked in. Note: CDG airport or Air France (not sure which) is very strict on your carry ons. One personal item and one bag!




|||



also, if you plan to obtain the Detaxe, you will also need some time as well as there may be a lineup there too!




|||



I flew out of CDG on AA 4x last year. I arrive at the airport 90 minutes before my flight leaves. I do the self-service check-in and it never takes me more than 20 minutes. However, I don%26#39;t check any luggage.





Here are a couple of tips:





Before you leave for the airport, make sure you check on-line to see when your flight is departing. I felt AA pulled a fast one on me last time. I saw on-line that the flight was nearly empty and they cancelled it. Was it because it was empty or because of what they called %26quot;mechanical issues%26quot;?





After checking in, do not go through security near the AA counter. If you do, you will have to climb up and down these stairs with all of your stuff to get to your gate. Instead, after checking in, walk down about 75-100 yards (past the security check next to the AA counter) to the OTHER security check.





The airport food is typical. Not any worse or better than any other airport food.





It is true that the AA gate is in its own separate area. There are food concessions/gift shops in that immediate area. Bathrooms are downstairs, just use the elevator.





If you want to relax, AA has a deal on its %26quot;Admirals Club%26quot; for a one-day membership. I think it%26#39;s $50. And if you are traveling with guests under 18, they are admitted free.




|||



Thanks for the all the great info--Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment