Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dining alone in Paris

The first time I visited Paris I don%26#39;t think I noticed anyone eating alone in restaurants or cafes. My next visit may be solo. My questions are these -- is my recolection faulty? Do people dine solo in Paris? If so, how are they received? Also, are there ways to make it less awkward? I don%26#39;t want to eat every meal on a park bench much less in my hotel room. Would like to hear from other single, female travelers who have %26quot;gone before me%26quot; in this manner.




|||



You can do a search, there have been plenty posts on the subject.



I dine alone in Paris regularly. I am rarely the only one alone and I am invariable received as well, if not better than, the onther guests.



Enjoy.




|||



Agree with Phread - I have been to Paris on vacation by myself and never felt it akward to eat alone in a restaurant, and being alone as a woman seems to bring forward the protective-instinct in the waiters, so that they give you a better service.


As long as you act natural, you will get a natural reception. This is the year 2006 after all - not 1906 !




|||



I just got back from a solo trip and loved it. I know I can%26#39;t explain the difference but here at home I can feel quite shy and self conscious about being out on my own whether it%26#39;s to the movies or out to dinner. Didn%26#39;t have even a single moment of awkwardness in Paris. A lot of places I was able to seat myself but even when the waiter seated me I didn%26#39;t get the dreaded %26quot;single woman alone%26quot; table right under the coat rack next to the kitchens. They did ask how many I was but never batted an eye when I said %26quot;une personne.%26quot; I was never ignored or forgotten.





For about a week after I booked my trip I kept asking myself %26quot;what the h*ll are you doing???%26quot; After that I was very excited and I had the best time of my three trips. I%26#39;ve already started planning a month long stay for May 2007. I%26#39;d do it sooner but I don%26#39;t have enough vacation time from work :)





All I can say is DO IT! You just may have the time of your life.




|||



You can stop worrying.



I have traveled to Paris both with a companion and solo. For a variety of reasons I actually prefer to visit solo.



As someone else said, I suspect you might have the time of your life. Especially if you are single.




|||



When are you in Paris?



I%26#39;m also going - female %26amp; solo and I really don%26#39;t like going to restaurants by myself. (When away for work by myself I order room service rather than go to a restaurant by myself).




|||



I know what you mean and don%26#39;t worry. I obsessed about eating alone before my July solo trip. It was a short two day trip but it was a good experience. Since I had the opportunity to dine solo I did notice others doing the same! What I did was dined at the earliest seating and brought the typical journal/book with me for company. But while dining I didn%26#39;t feel the need to resort to writing in my journal or reading my book. I just took my time to savor the meal. Next time will be a for a longer solo trip so I%26#39;ll get more practice.




|||



I will be traveling to Paris for work next week (for the first time) and will also be dining alone. It is good to read the replies of other female travelers. I have started traveling, and eating, alone more with work lately. I dined by myself in Montreal, New York, and Antwerp this past year. All experiences were wonderful and got easier and easier..and were quite fun. I find it to just be a different experience than dining with someone. You notice different things and thnk about things differently. Personally, I am expecting wonderful things in Paris...I hope you experience the same!




|||



Hi tripdreamer2:



I have a thread about this %26quot;celebrating my 35th birthday...%26quot;



You may want to follow along and see if you see anything of use to you.



Best of luck to you on your trip and just enjoy yourself!




|||



Hi! Last year I went to Paris alone for a week in October and I had a time of my life. I dined alone sometimes but most of the times being a single woman, I enjoyed chatting with the people around me and they were very friendly. I enjoyed my trip immensely and as a matter of fact, I am going back there next month alone again. I enjoy travelling alone to Europe. It%26#39;s not a big deal so have fun!




|||



I almost always travel - and therefore dine - alone. I usually choose one of the big cafes or brasseries and sit in the covered area facing out onto the street, so that I can watch the world go by while I%26#39;m eating. I%26#39;ve never had any problems with waiters etc. or felt any awkwardness.

No comments:

Post a Comment