Tuesday, March 27, 2012

2 reviews of 2 different hotels nearly the same

I%26#39;m looking at reviews of Paris hotels and I%26#39;ve run across 2 which are very similar. You have to read them yourself to understand. The first is the Victoria Palace on 10/28/05 by somebody in Queensland, Australia. The second, the Bel Ami on 11/21/05 from Boise, Idaho. They both mention the %26quot;queer waiter,%26quot; cereal being picked up, smirk to co-worker and Evian water. I%26#39;m sure there are probably losers who will post fake reviews because they think it%26#39;s funny, and I really look at the consistency of responses; but, I wonder if it%26#39;s more widespread than I think? Has any of you run into anything like this? I%26#39;ve already informed TripAdvisor of what I%26#39;ve found.




|||



That%26#39;s a possibility.



Hotel Victoria and Bel Ami are not in the same category and should not get same review anyway.




|||



You never know for sure. I used to work for a company that used to pay us to go into chat rooms and promote rock bands. I noticed something interesting. There was a hotel that got a scathing review and someone who claimed to be that manager replied which I thought was great. He basically told the guy that he was paying for a two star hotel and that is what he got. The only funny thing was that after that all the reviews were five stars. I wonder if the manager added a couple to help out because even great hotels don%26#39;t get perfect reviews from everyone.




|||



scolob,



I just had to check this out, and you%26#39;re right, it%26#39;s very weird! They are the same review, and so must be %26quot;fiction.%26quot; It makes me nervous about trusting the reviews on Tripadvisor. I recently changed my reservation from the Langlois after a spate of bad reviews that were so extreme I wondered if they had been made up. Now I wonder if that really is a possibility....Has TripAdvisor responded? It%26#39;s too bad if this wonderful resource is being tainted this way.




|||



Great investigation work scolob!





Of course, and sadly, some people have nothing else to do in their life besides posting useless reviews like those.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;I%26#39;m sure there are probably losers who will post fake reviews because they think it%26#39;s funny, and I really look at the consistency of responses; but, I wonder if it%26#39;s more widespread than I think? Has any of you run into anything like this? I%26#39;ve already informed TripAdvisor of what I%26#39;ve found.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





You%26#39;ve probably %26#39;..outed..%26#39; some brain-dead, anonymoron, with more time on their hands than sense. But unfortunately, that%26#39;s part of the weft and warp of any of these sites. You never really know whether the individual providing the information is living in downtown Paris, the Idaho State Home for the Criminally Stupid, a frequent visitor or just some hormone-driven adolescent killing time in their junior high school library during lunch.





The relative strength of this site is that information usually comes from a relatively broad-based variety of sources and cross-section of perspectives. Even if you had not discovered the remarkable similarities in these reviews, the rest of the reviews for each establishment would have given you a pretty good indication that these were %26#39;off-base%26#39;.





As a general rule, it%26#39;s usually best (when possible) to disregard 25% of the most %26#39;..gushing..%26#39; and 25% of the most %26#39;..damming..%26#39; and find an average of what remains. This will uaually get you closer to whatever %26#39;truth%26#39; there is. And when all is said and done, these are %26#39;..other people%26#39;s..%26#39; opinions and ultimately, yours will be the only one that matters.




|||



I totally agree with the others, especially with KDKSAIL;reviews here and everywhere else arent all real. Some bad ones are for competing properties and some rave ones from inside the property. I usually dont trust the very short ones, and find more reliable those with attached room photos, as they represent the real hotel in most cases.




|||



We%26#39;ve had a problem here in Ireland with Fake Reviews. There are two establishments in particular where the reviews were so gushing they were hillarious.





In one establishment (Kathleen%26#39;s Country House) the owner discovered that a guest had not been in contact with her sister for many, many years. The guest, a married guest, had only given her sister%26#39;s first name. However, when the couple had come back from their day out who should be on the phone waiting for them but the lost sister ringing from America!!





Another reviewer (from France) started out in what can best be described as HibernoEnglish and ended in Pidgin English.





Another poster e-mailed some of the reviewers and was told that they were encouraged to post positive reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment