Friday, March 30, 2012

Latin Q V's St Germain

I am planning my first trip to Paris in July and can’t decide where to stay – its so confusing!! Whats the difference between the Latin Quarter %26amp; St Germain Des Pres?



We are looking for a two or three star hotel that has air conditioning and is in a good location to walk to all the touristy sights but in a nice area that has cafes close by and gives us the real paris experience as well!




|||



We are going to be in Paris the last week of June. We are staying at the Hotel Henri IV. It has a great location, air conditioning (which is important to me too), and great reviews. Check it out in the reviews on this forum and at http://www.henri-paris-hotel.com/index.html




|||



Latin quarter is mostly in the 5th arrondissement and some of the 6th.



St Germain des Pres is in the 6th and a bit of the 7th - roughly.



Latin quarter has a lot of schools and young people. The Sorbonne is there.



St Germain des Pres is more sophisticated and elegant.



Both have dozens of cafes and restaurants.



The 5th could be less expensive.



Again, this is a rough statement and there will be exceptions to what I said above.




|||



From what you describe as your criteria, I%26#39;d say that either the 5th or 6th districts will appeal to you. However, on the whole, the younger crowds would like the 5th more than the 6th which is more appealing to older adults. While I do like the 5th I prefer the more quiet atmosphere in the 6th. By this I mean that it%26#39;s quieter on the whole not to say that it%26#39;s dead. There are many great cafes and restaurants in the 6th but it%26#39;s more of an upscale environment than the 5th.




|||



aphotographerinparis and paris 1204



have done an excellent job of laying out



the 5th and 6th arrondisements.





My first 4 trips to Paris I stayed in the



5th and it was comfortable and easy.





Last September I stayed in the 6th.



I really enjoyed the upscale nature



with many good restaurants, much interesting



shopping, movie theaters and sites. An



easy walk to the Seine and across to



the Right Bank.




|||



Thanks so much, I think i will look around the 6th. We are staying in paris for 2 nights then heading to the loire valley for 2 nights then back to paris for 2 more nights - our last 2 nights are Thurs 13th and Fri 14th July, the bastille day fireworks %26amp; parade look amazing would we be best to stay in a different area for these nights closer to the eiffel tower?




|||



We stayed at Hotel La Perle on rue des cannettes a very charming side street in the 6th. Lots of bars and restaurants and shops all around- I highly recommend it-they were very friendly and I have reviewd them on this website. Wonderful a/c- very clean and soooo quiet- church bells from St. Sulpice were so charming. I got a rate of $140E/night through the hotel- well worth it. They were very friendly and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment