Friday, March 30, 2012

half day in Caen

My son and I are heading from Paris to St.Lo by train, which makes a stop in Caen. I was considering getting off in Caen for four or five hours to see the Peace Museam then get a later train on to St Lo. Does this seem easy or hard...how far is it from the rail station to the museum...is is easy to get around...Thanks, Garz




|||



the only thing i have to say about this idea is that the peace museum is about 20 euros to enter. so figure if it is worth it.




|||



I have no idea what it would take to get a taxi to/from the museum, but I saw the slide show there with photos of towns before and after the bombings and it completely change my perspective on everything I thought I knew about France and the war.




|||



I highly recommend the Peace Museum in Caen ~ we visited there last May and are going back during our trip this year. Echoing Phread, I walked out with a completely different understanding of WWII and what its impact was on the French people. I understand (from a tour we are looking at for May), that a taxi from the Caen rail station to the Museum is about 13 euros each way. Getting a taxi to the museum should be relatively easy; what I%26#39;m not sure about is how difficult it would be to get a taxi back to the station (our current dilemma).




|||



I agree about visiting the museum, it is very worth it. It is big so you can spend there a whole day, so it is expensive but worth it.I know there is a bus from the city center (call the tourist office to know which from where) that goes to the museum. I guess from the tourist office you can get a number for a taxi for when you go back to town, maybe you can ask the welcome desk at the museum, they called a taxi once for a client who was sick and needed to leave . The taxi was there within ten minutes.




|||



If you want a nice stop, it should be better to stop in Bayeux ( 20 km of Caen ), you could visit :



- Musée de la Bataille ( but closed at this time because the new museum is arriving )


- cathédrale de Bayeux


- tapisserie de la reine Mathilde



Bayeux is the old capital of Normandy and much interesting than Caen.




|||



Thanks for all of the input...we will be taking a more complete tour of the beaches later in the week including Bayeux, but because we won%26#39;t be getting back up to Caen, I wanted to stop whle passing through....all of you comments are helpful and much appreciated...Garz




|||



Thanks for all of the input...we will be taking a more complete tour of the beaches later in the week including Bayeux, but because we won%26#39;t be getting back up to Caen, I wanted to stop whle passing through....all of you comments are helpful and much appreciated...Garz




|||



Thanks for all of you input...we will be taking a more extensive tour of the beaches, including bayeax later in the week...Garz

No comments:

Post a Comment