Tuesday, March 27, 2012

English Channel Crossing (surface)

I am traveling from London to Paris in March and would like to see the channel. Basicly catch a bus in London and get off in Paris, or vice versa. Does anyone have any experience, advice or recomendations as to how I should go about this. I have a round trip ticket on the Eurostar, but don%26#39;t mind skipping it one way.



Thanks for any help




|||



I hope you have a strong stomach. Those water crossings can be ROUGH.




|||



Eurolines coaches are your best bet - they leave Paris from their own station at Gallieni, the end of metro line 3 and take you to Victoria the big London coach station.





You%26#39;re absolutely right to try this way - I always feel kinda cheated changing country without physically crossing a stretch of water. THe cross chanel ferries can we a bit rocky of course but they are fine - I must have crossed that way about 10 or 15 times in my younger days and it%26#39;s fine.




|||



I agree with you, and much prefer the sea crossing. I%26#39;ve crossed at least once a year for about 25 years, winter and summer, and have never even felt ill. There can be rough crossings of course, but the sheer number of ferries testifies to the usual comfort of these crossings.




|||



Thanks all,





I tried for a Eurolines trip from Paris to London but the French site was down. I was able to book London to Paris for a whopping 6 GBP which even at the current exchange rate I consider reasonable :^), something called a %26quot;Fun Fare%26quot;. I may be with 85 of my new best friends and their sheep, but I should get to see the channel. I appreciate the advice and will report on my experience.





Ob




|||



6 pounds from London to Paris? That sounds extremely reasonable...are you sure?




|||



I too am amazed. Got the ticket right here on my printer. Don%26#39;t have a clue what%26#39;s going on, but I still have my Eurostar ticket if there is a problem with this one. Perhaps they just have a lot of seats running open.





Ob




|||



I wonder whether it%26#39;s worth confirming that Eurolines do actually use the ferries, as that%26#39;s the whole point of your trip? Some coach companies use Eurotunnel (the shuttle from Folkestone to Calais), which means that, like Eurostar, you%26#39;re underground before you see the sea.




|||



I had a quick look at the Eurolines site and it seems to only take 9 hours to get from Paris to London, on a bus and a ferry.





Doesn%26#39;t this seem a little short to anyone?




|||



Excellent question. I will check to make sure the coach crosses the channel on a ferry and not the via the chunnel.



Ob




|||



I am quite sure 9 hours is OK,i used to cross from Amiens (2 hours north of Paris by bus) and i t used to take 7 hours to London. The crossing is fine, i never felt sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment