Tuesday, March 27, 2012

calvi- has it changed?

I am going back this summer for the first time in 9 years and it suddenly struck me that it might not be the quiet little town it was once was. Can anyone tell me if it has changed much since the nineties? When I went in 1997 it had hardly changed since I worked there in 1987 but my OH was saying scary things to me - like there might be a MacDonalds or English pubs etc. Please assure me it%26#39;s not so!




|||



I wasn%26#39;t a frequent visitor to Calvi in the mid-nineties, but I have been there regularly since 2000.





If anything, I think it has improved in that time. The roads are better (including the pedestrian areas near the station). There are lots of flowers and shrubs around now, and no, there aren%26#39;t any English pubs there yet! So I think you can rest assured that it hasn%26#39;t been spoiled! Hope you have a geat holiday.




|||



Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I am now counting down the days!!




|||



Don%26#39;t worry - Calvi is still lovely and our favourite destination. We are going to Bonifacio/southern Corsica this September and my husband is already saying he would prefer to go back to Calvi ! We have stayed there a lot over the years, I first went in 1966 with my parents (my mother was part French so we either went to the South of France or Corsica)staying in the Casa Vecchia (still there), then in 1989 and 1991 to apartments (Le Home - still there) and then in 2005 (Hotel St. Christophe - v. good). When we went last year we noticed that there is more building behind the town and the beach is more developed than it used to be - we don%26#39;t remember all those beach bars from before. But no McDonalds, English pubs thank goodness, just a pretty lively town, nice harbour, good atmosphere - the only downside is the cost - expensive - and possibly that there are more people about than there used to be, the beach in early September was noticeably busier. I think June or mid September would be a good time to visit Calvi. Hope you have a good trip.




|||



Thanks White Family. When I was there in 1997 I stayed at Le Home and they were great. We are staying at the new A Merula this year which are sister apts to Le Home. I went to Corsica frequently in the nineties, staying at Point St Francois (where I also lived when I did two seasons repping there in 1987 and 1988), Hotel Mediterraneo, Il Tramonto, some apts opposite Le Home that I can%26#39;t remember the name of and the Hotel Cyrnea further out of town. Also Beau Rivage apts in Algajola and Santa Maria in Ille Rousse. I used to rep the St Christophe Hotel. I don%26#39;t suppose you visited Corsica in 1987 or 1988 - I might have been your rep!




|||



Do any of you Calvi experts know the Hotel Stella di Mare in Ajacola? Would be glad of any views as I%26#39;m tempted to stay a few days there.




|||



Joanpony, I don%26#39;t know a village called Ajacola. There is a Hotel Stella di Mare in Ajaccio, and there is a charming little walled town called Algajola quite near Calvi, but I don%26#39;t know whether there is a hotel of that name there. If it%26#39;s Ajaccio (around 2.5 - 3 hours drive from Calvi) you%26#39;re interested in, it might be an idea to put your request as a new post. Then all the Ajaccio folk can give you their wisdom! Enjoy your holiday anyway!




|||



There is a hotel called Stella Mare in Algajola. It is a two star on a hillside above the rail station, so not by the beach, but it%26#39;s only a short walk away. Algajola is a very small place anyway.




|||



I%26#39;m puzzled (apart from spelling the name of the village wrongly!) I meant Algajola and I thought the Hotel Stella di Mare was in that place %26#39;cos Lonely Planet has a listing for Hotel-Restaurant Stella Mare. Apparently they are two entirely different hotels. Senior moments abound!




|||



Joanypony, if Aardvark and your book both say there is a Stella di Mare in Algajola, I%26#39;m sure there must be one! But I can assure you there is one in Ajaccio as well. I think it was the novel spelling that caused the problem - the name you gave us was half way between the two names! Algajola is delightful, with a wonderful beach, some great restaurants, ancient buildings and very interesting little back streets with intriguing craft shops.




|||



I would agree that Algajola is a delightful little place, we went there in late August for the day whilst we were staying in Calvi, and took the little train there. We like the shady restaurant in the square. However it is quiet there and would suit people who don%26#39;t want the bustle of Calvi. It is much more peaceful and would be too peaceful for some. Also the sand on the beach is coarse whereas in Calvi it is lovely fine sand. So I suppose its whatever your personal holiday requirements are. Finally I don%26#39;t know the hotel in Algajola you mention but on the basis of Aardvark%26#39;s description, the situation of the hotel will be fine and views will be lovely. I took some really nice photos of Algajola that day and the Corsican sky was so blue it was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment