Friday, March 30, 2012

Balck to Paris in Feb, Need Info on Montmartre - GOD IS...

I can%26#39;t believe I have to travel to Europe for a business meeting second week of Feb. during my weekend, God is great, my prayers are answered and I will be coming to Paris again, yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (my boss is giving me a couple of days to compensate for my weekend.)


I don%26#39;t know if I can sleep tonite, soooo excited, really happy from the bottom of my heart.



Ok, now to the point, on this visit to Paris I will try to focus on MontMartre mainly because I didn%26#39;t have time to really absorb all of it last time. I realize this area a the birthplace of great art throughout the years and the highlights of my visit will be Dalida%26#39;s house and square, Amelie%26#39;s neighborhood, Place de tetre,...


Also I plan to visit Centre Pompidou, the Mosque, Dali museum, Orsay 5th Floor.


So please if anyone has info/tips on the above would appreciate if you share with me.


I also have some questions:


- Does anyone know if there is a museum for Dalida?


- Does anyone know where Helena Rubinstien lived? I read in a book that her apartment was so artistic.


- Are there any hotels in MontMartre, I couldn%26#39;t get much information on staying in this area, budget around 70-100 EUR.


- Is it worthwhile visiting the parks and gardens in Feb? Or will it be too cold to wander around?


- Are there any sales in the shops in Feb?


- Are there any fashion shows taking place? How do you get invited to these?



I did all the touristiky places last time and this time I am looking for a more original, in-depth visit, all suggestions very welcome.



Arvoir :)


Rasha



ps: Is anyone going to be there 12-16 Feb? Maybe we can meet up for a Parisian coffee?






|||



As for Montmartre, i don%26#39;t think there is a museum, but you can pay a visit to her tumb in Cimetière Montmartre.



I think Helena Rubinstein lived on the Ile St Louis but not sure at all, maybe i am mistaken. Don%26#39;t forget in Montmartre the rue Cortot, rue des Sules with the vineyards and Lapin agile, the rue de l%26#39;abreuvoir with the statue of Dalida, the allée des brouillards. Villa Léandre, Place Marcel Aymé, the Moulin de la Galette, etc... I wouldn%26#39;t recommend you stay in Montmartre, it is nice to visit but not central, after a long day of visit you are tired and still need to go up the hill to your hotel! No official sales %26quot;soldes %26quot; in February, but sometimes %26quot;promotion%26quot; in some or many shops. As for fashio show, you can attend the ones in the Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, as for the famous ones you need an invitation.




|||



Congrats Rasha! The mosque is going through some very serious renovations at the moment and a good part of it is inaccessible at this time.



Does anyone know if there is a museum for Dalida? No, there is not.



Does anyone know where Helena Rubinstien lived? On the Ile St Louis, but the more artistic one was in NYC and the art collection was sold in 1966.



Are there any hotels in MontMartre, I couldn%26#39;t get much information on staying in this area, budget around 70-100 EUR. Lots, check the tripadvisor site.



Is it worthwhile visiting the parks and gardens in Feb? Or will it be too cold to wander around? The gardens are full each day, but you may find it too cold, coming from a warmer climate. Are there any sales in the shops in Feb? search sales in this forum for the exact dates.



Are there any fashion shows taking place? How do you get invited to these? There are fashion shows every week at Printemps and Galeries Lafayette. For THE shows, well I have not yet managed to procure one for myself.






|||



Hi Rasha,





I love the Montmartre too.





There is a little hotel you might want to look into, it is called the Hotel Utrillo. It has mixed reviews on TA but I have stayed there a number of times and the staff there are all very nice in my experience. It is a small tourist class hotel. Not fancy, but clean and most of the rooms in the front of the building have a neat view of the rooftops of Montmartre.





The hotel was sold recently and from what I understand is undergoing renovations. Best to check to see what the status of that is before you go. Here is their website:





http://www.hotel-paris-utrillo.com/





The hotel is located on r. Aristide Bruant which is just off r. Abbesses and about three blocks from the r. Abbesses metro station. R. Abbesses has a lot of wonderful little shops, restaurants and bars. There is also a great bakery on r. Abbesses, just down the street from the hotel. The hotels is also about a 2 minute walk from the r. Lepic area which has great markets - and just further down from there is the Moulin Rouge on bvd. de Clichy and also a large Monoprix should you need anything.





You might also consider seeing if one of these studios is available (not sure if they are only rented by the week?) They are located on r. Lepic right around the corner from the Hotel Utrillo:





www.parisvacationapartments.com/prop.pl?6





I would also recommend you try Le Chinon which is my favorite bar on r. Abbesses and also a really good restaurant called Le Relais Gascon which is also on r. Abbesses, right on the corner next to the hotel. They have incredible salads! (I believe someone here at TA also mentioned visiting this restaurant recently and had a good experience there.)





Have a great time!




|||



The weekly fashion shows at Gallerie LaFayette are held Friday%26#39;s at 2:30 7th Floor Salon Opera. Call 01 48 74 02 30. It is free.



When I called for reservations they asked who invited me....I fumbled



a bit and mentioned I saw it in France Guide. I know the famous ones you need an invitation. I do not know if you need an invitation to the weekly shows so being asked who invited me caught me off guard however I obtained a reservation.




|||



A nice looking hotel within your budget is the Prima Lepic, right in the heart of Amelie country - http://www.hotelprimalepic.com/index-2.html



Various hotel discounters feature it and they offer promotions on the hotel site.



It gets many good reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere. I have not stayed there, but noticed it in walking by during my last two stays in Paris--both in Montmartre, which my husband and I fell in love with. Both times we stayed a week or more and rented an apartment from Gail Boisclair at www.perfectlyparis.com; if that idea appeals to you, check out her site, as she specializes in Montmartre. As you can see, people vary in their opinion of staying in this area--but there are %26quot;sweet village%26quot; sections as well as noisy and bawdy parts. The section of rue Lepic where the Prima Lepic is located is well-situated between the sacred and the profane (down to the Moulin Rouge or up to Sacre Coeur); it%26#39;s up to you what direction you take! As for having a steep climb home, we didn%26#39;t find it too bad at all and actually welcomed the exercise to work off all those fabulous French calories. If you love Montmartre%26#39;s art history, try to see the collection of related art at the Musee Carnavalet :



…paris.fr/musees/…principal_cadre.htm Bon voyage!




|||



Thanks everyone for the help, I checked our your suggestions.



I also found this on TA, it seems like a nice hostel in Montmartre: www.caulaincourt.com



Do you think it would be safe to stay in that area?



I checked the metro map and its not so bad to get to the city center, plus the opportunity to meet new people. What do you think?




|||



It sounds friendly, but more %26quot;basic%26quot; in accommodations and is likely a bit noisier. If you are okay with that and want the hostel atmosphter, I think the neighborhood is fine. If you look on the Caulaincourt Square Hotel location map, you can see Avenue Junot, where I stayed in Sept.; it was an easy walk down a flight of stairs to the Caulaincourt Metro--good connections to other points.

No comments:

Post a Comment