Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How much to save for 1-week trip?

Forgive me if this question is asked a lot:





My sister and I are traveling to Paris in March. She is a college student; I am a little older. We will be there 1 week. The hotel is already prepaid.





How much spending money in Euros should we plan to have available? We would like to do all the tourist things -- go the museums, sightsee, go to cafes, and have dinner out. But we will not be going crazy shopping or buying expensive meals. How much would you think we should expect to spend per day?





I saw the other thread for using credit/ATM cards, which we will do as much as possible, but we are currently saving up for the trip and would love to know how much we should save!





Thank you in advance!!



-K




|||



This is such a personal question it will be very hard for us to advise you! I don%26#39;t want to assume too much, so correct me if I am wrong: You are on a budget, want to see the major sights and I am guessing go out some at night? Do you drink? This can really make a huge difference as drinks are expensive. I would guess you can get by easily on 100E a day per person for tourist sights, transportion and food. This might get you a city tour one day and a few drinks out at night. I am considering a light breakfast, inexpensive cafe lunch or fast food and dinner in a an moderate price range from 30E-45E a piece per night (including wine some nights). If you go out every night to drink and you like to dance in places with a cover, add accordingly because this could really add up (expect to pay average of 10E a drink! Also, add accordingly for shopping!





You may want to get a guidebook for Paris that will have a chapter on %26quot;budgeting your trip%26quot;. I am just offering you a rough estimate.




|||



Hi! Thanks for your response already. In fact I don%26#39;t drink at all. My sister does, but I do not expect that we will be going out to clubs or bars too often while we are there.




|||



You can do Paris on 30 Euros or on 3000 Euros per day (before lunch as they say).



It is hard to tell but I would say to do a few things and not feel deprived 100.00/day per person would be very nice (hotel being prepaid)




|||



this is what I posted last time someone asked, I think it still holds true.





it really depends on your travel style. my last trip I planned on 100€/day and had some left over which I then put towards my hotel bill. this included all meals, shopping, etc. are you getting the museum pass? a carte orange/mobilis/carnet? those will help save money and time (for me, time IS money on vacation.) I assume you know about prix fixe at restaurants? You don%26#39;t have to eat at michelin stars to get very nice meals in good atmosphere. Lunches can be either moderately expensive (30€ and up for a sit down with wine %26amp; dessert) or quite cheap (5€ for a falafel or croque monsieur or crepe from a vendor.) are you expected to buy lots of presents for folks back home or is this trip %26quot;just for you%26quot;? Are you looking for the glamour trip of a lifetime or something more casual? I hope these questions help. Take a moment and think about what you want this trip to be and it will help you plan your budget.




|||



The answer to this question is different for each person. Saying that here is my opinion.





We found 15-25 euro set meal prices for dinner all over the city. This included 3 to 4 courses with wine. Lunch 6 euros and crepe stands are everywhere. Paris can be done nicely on 50euros a day, especially when your young. I would suggest budgeting 75 euros a day, and you will be fine.




|||



Hello K,





I would guess you wont spend any more than in NYC for the same type eating places, drinks, extras. Surely you know people who think NYC is terribly expensive and others who have a fine time on a reasonable amount of spending. You will be on vacation so the more you have to spend, the better, huh?





The museum entries, shows, maybe taxis can add up though. If you already have your room paid for you can either be careful, splurge or some of both.......tis up to you. Here is a suggestion..If your sister wants to drink, she might do well to buy wine (or heavier stuff) in a market and do her drinking in the hotel before or after dining....true of other drinks too. And a few things for breakfast can save bit too. (Breakfasts in Paris tend to be costly).





My son, a teacher, goes over every couple of years and is usually surprised at how little he spends...(his lodging is taken care of). And I had 3 friends who shared a room who also found it to be quite reasonable (from N.J.)...





Good luck with your saving and enjoy........








|||



Thank you, everyone. I am going to use this forum to do more research. Very helpful!



-K

No comments:

Post a Comment