Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ski resort

i%26#39;m from a tropical country and as such snow %26amp; skiing is very rare to me. I%26#39;ll be going to nice (staying at Mougins) on 28 Jan until 3 Feb 06. I%26#39;ve heard that there are quite a number of good ski resort in the alpes maritime area.



- Could anyone suggest a nice place/resort which has snow for me to go for a day trip (isola 2000 %26amp; valberg seem to be famous)?



- And, most importantly, is it really necessary for me to use snow tyre or snow chain while driving in the alpes maritime area?





Merci beaucoup!




|||



Cannot answer the 1st question as I am not a skier.





I can easily answer the 2nd one. No chains necessary and rental cars have 4 seasons tires that do the job. I am used to drive on ice and snow in my home country and have not seen so far reasons to use chains in the Alpes Maritimes unless you drive on very small Départementales (the D routes). If you drive on Nationales (the N ones) or on larger D%26#39;s there should be no problems, especially if you drive after 10AM when the temperature goes up a bit in the mountains and the sun shines.




|||



our family have just returned from the south of france.


we stayed in isola overnight in the la diva hotel which I would%26#39;nt recommend, but the skiing was amazing its a lovely area with plenty of snow, we hired a minibus to take us up und back it worked out well as we were travelling with another family, as far as I am aware a bus travels fom nice airport to isola daily for approx 20 euro return.


Mougins is faboulus we ate in a beautiful restaurant on Thursday evening its on the right hand side when walking up the vieux village cant remember name its le bistro ?


small inside with stone walls its well worth a visit enjoy.




|||



Isola 2000 has got the most snow.



Auron is as big and less industrial.



Valberg is an even cosier place.





Hotels in Isola are not terrific.



I would suggest a day-trip if you go there.





Don%26#39;t worry about snow chains being a tourist.



It%26#39;s different for the locals commuting to work, sometimes being obliged to drive even during the few hours of heavy snowfall. Then, but only then, there%26#39;s nothing like chains.





Personally, I bring chains in the car when i drive up into the mountains during the winter. To date, I%26#39;ve never had to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment