Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Please clear this one up for me...


Can you actually walk all the way to the top of the Eiffel Tower using the stairs? I was under the distinct impression that you could only climb to the second floor using the stairs, and to reach the very top you had to get a lift. I have visited the Eiffel Tower about five times




|||





...sorry - I had to join half way through writing, and while I was off joining up it posted!!





Was saying that I%26#39;ve visited about five times, and never seen an option to pay to climb the stairs to the top, only first and second floors.





Has anyone EVER actually climbed the stairs to the summit?




|||



You CANNOT anymore climb up to the top, you can just climb to the 1st and 2nd floors. For the 3rd you have to take a lift, buy the difference in the small booth they have on the 2nd floor but it is not always open. The booth on the ground floor is different whether you buy for stairs or for lift so you cannot buy both options at the same booth.




|||





Thank you so much Raphy!





The more I read about Paris on various websites, the more annoyed I started to get whenever I saw - %26#39;it%26#39;s nearly 1,800 steps if you want to walk to the top, but we decided to get the lift...%26#39; as I was CERTAIN walking to the top wasn%26#39;t an option. I have no desire to walk to the top - I%26#39;m not mad! But have tried a couple of times to walk down (you may have heard of the Ealing Comedy %26#39;The Lavender Hill Mob%26#39; where at the end they run down the old spiral staircase at the tower), and found the stairways locked.







Thanks again for clearing it up - was just one of those annoying things!




|||



Is the old spiral staircase still there? I watched the Lavender Hill Mob before I went to Paris last summer, and the movie made me decide that I did NOT want to take the stairs. When I actually saw the stairs, I couldn%26#39;t figure out why they%26#39;d looked so scary in the movie. Your post is the first I%26#39;ve read that indicated those were the old stairs.




|||



The old staircase was cut up during a campaign of restauration in 1983 i think, a part is exhibited on the 1st floor of the tower, some other bits were sold on auction sales, i guess if i remember well there is one bit in the united states and another one in Japan, at least...




|||





I can%26#39;t add anything to Raphy%26#39;s perfect response Mimmy!




|||



I am unaccountably pleased to know about the old staircase. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment