Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Paul?

Today for lunch, I finally followed the delicious smell on rue Montorgueil into Paul(a sandwich place of sorts?). I enjoyed the formule, with a sandwich, drink, and dessert for just 6 euros, but I%26#39;m wondering if anyone else has tried the other locations, how many there are, and if the Parisiennes consider them like I (a New Yorker) consider Starbucks.





Thanks, and also thank you for the suggestions for raclette--we%26#39;re going next week!




|||



I%26#39;m not a fan of Paul myself. They%26#39;re much like the other bakeries that are supplied from factory operations outside Paris. I think the breads are bland but I have had a couple of nice sandwiches from the store on Av de la Opera and some memorable macaroons at Hotel de Ville.



I%26#39;m kinda biased too because I live on the same block as a truly great bakery. Paul isn%26#39;t bad but it doesn%26#39;t compare to a good artisan boulangerie.




|||



Funnny enough, Paul recently was honored with %26quot;one of the top 10 croissants in Paris%26#39; by Figaro magazine (I think it was Figaro who did it....it was a major french publication). So who knows???





Les




|||



Paul is just another sandwich chain (posing as a bakery), just as Pomme de Pain or Brioche Dorée, not better, not worse. They%26#39;ve got plenty of franchises in airports, stations, autoroutes rest stops etc. which tells it all. I even saw one in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment