Saturday, April 21, 2012

Caravanning (RV) in France in November

?? -- need input from those in the know, please. I am planning a trip w/family of 4 (possibly in an RV) in november from paris down thru the loure and dordonne to costa brava, back across the riviera thru tuscany to venice, then back up thru switzerland and central france to paris. I know about the restricted clearance on rural mountain roads and the like and have driven in paris before. Have researched and gotten input from french friends and other travelers but am unable to get a feel for what I can look forward to! Have heard pros and cons and that you can park on the side of the highway like they do in the summer and have read about numerous developed camping facilities (at least in france) but their websites are very vague on low season travel info (are they open?)-- but w/the marginal temperature and drizzle at that time of year, I can%26#39;t be sure that I%26#39;m not getting my family into a wet, muddy, shivering cold and generally miserable experience instead of the trip of a lifetime. I%26#39;m not rich so money is a cosideration and I have a party of 4 making hotels a lot more expensive (even w/ the low season discounts). I can save a little by renting apartments or gites (but require large deposits x several locations) and use a rental car. Any helpful input will be greatfully appreciated. Thanx






|||



Here in Provence, gasoline is at 1.50 euros per LITRE, gasoil is not far behind. I just paid 58 euros to fill up the tank in my car. !! With the route you%26#39;ve planned, I think you would go broke just paying for the gas !! and a caravan isn%26#39;t known for getting good mileage...





Also, FYI, all the camp grounds in my region are closed for the winter - most at the end of October.




|||



Just back from France. Decided not to do the caravanning thing and just rented a car and stayed in hotels. Really glad I didn%26#39;t rent the camper because we would have frozen to death. It was really cold (especially the last 2 weeks of November with the winds from Syberia and snow and all).




|||



Glad you had a good time. I think you made the right choice. And, by the way, it is still COLD !!! Everyone is saying we are having the coldest winter in a good while.. Went for a walk yesterday and nearly froze my ears off in the wind..... And I am in Provence .....




|||



Tou tou ---- Just wanted to thank you for your help with this, and Yes, we did have a great time in your country, Spain and Italy. My favorite (besides Venice) was %26quot;Sarlat%26quot;, then %26quot;Aix en Provence%26quot; and then %26quot;Carcassonne%26quot;. Thanks again and I hope you get warmer -- I%26#39;m back in San Diego, California now. Happy Trails to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment