Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Boules / Petanque in Paris

I have recenlty started playing Petanque here in the states. Is ist accessible to play in Paris? Do the %26quot;locals%26quot; let others join? Do most parks have courts for Petanque? Are some parks better than others?



Thanks!






|||



I have seen a special area in the jardins du Luxembourg but have not seen very often people playing. Just today i saw many people play on Place de la Nation but i don%26#39;t know if they play there all the time or just occasionnally. I am sure they will be happy for you to join in %26quot;plus on est de fous plus on rit%26quot;, the more you are, the more you laugh as we say in French, but i guess you need to bring your boules de pétanque, because each person brings their own set of balls, they might have a spare one but not sure.




|||



It%26#39;s a great game. The French take it very seriously. You may find more played outside of Paris. I am sure that all my friends in the burbs are not the types to allow anyone to join in unless it was preplanned. You might try looking for a society that will let you have a short term membership. Good luck. Or just look on craigslist for some partners. Hpe this helps.




|||



Raphey%26#39;s post could be more accurate than mine. But do look on Craigslist. Those ballas are way to heavy to tavel with though.




|||



sorry...Balls. Can%26#39;t type today.




|||



I remember someyears ago a boulodrome with people playing near the house of Tristan Tzara in Montmartre. Perhaps it still exists...




|||



Yes the balls can be bought in Paris : le vieux campeur, Decathlon... I have some that i never use if you want to borrow them when you come here, i need to look for them though!! I have never played, i got them from people who were playing. I am sure the guys i saw today would let you play but it may not be the case everywhere. Although the people who play are usually laid back and relaxed...




|||



I see people play on bd Richard Lenoir or bd Jules Ferry, but only in summer, this is the reason why I was surprised at Raphy%26#39;s post. But , after all, there must be genuine aficionados who play rain or shine. There is a complete %26quot;boulodrome%26quot; on rue Cardinet next to Pont Cardinet station. I think it %26quot;belongs%26quot; to a bona fide pétanque club. By googling Paris + Pétanque, I am sure you%26#39;ll get more info.





Speaking of info, do you know where the word %26quot;pétanque%26quot; comes from? It means %26quot;closed feet%26quot; in Provençal (a dialect/now almost extinct regional language of the South of France), because, as you know, when you throw the ball, your feet are snuggly next to each other! %26quot;Tancat%26quot; still means %26quot;closed%26quot; in Catalan, a real currently spoken language this one, this is the sign you see on Barcelona stores when they are... closed!




|||



thanks so much for all the info. I am not travelling until the summer so I suspect I will see a number of players. thank you Raphy for offering your boules. Maybe I%26#39;ll take you up on it.




|||



Everytime I walk past the Square du Temple, I see people playing--even women!!




|||



I%26#39;m a boules champ. No kidding, I won a championship w/ a french friend in the Drome. It was, of course, %26quot;petanque%26quot; down there.



Anyway...I have seen it played on the Place Dauphine on the Ile de la Cite weekend nights in the summer....





Les

No comments:

Post a Comment