Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Champs Elysee Area??

Is the Champs Elysee area a good area to stay in? I know all about its location etc but what I am wondering is it too commerical an area? Are there lots of nice restuarants about the %26#39;Arc de Triomphe%26#39; or is it all chains?



Any thoughts?



Many thanks.



p.s I am thinking of staying in the Best Western Elysee. I will be 24weeks pregnant so being in a good location near a metro is essential.




|||



The Champs Elysee area is my favorite area in Paris. It is in the 8th district and in my opinion the best district. You won%26#39;t be disappointed by the restaurants or the shops. You will be a stone%26#39;s throw from rue Faubourg St. Honore. That street has the best shops in the world!! You%26#39;ll also be close to the 9th district which has the great department stores, Au Printemps, Galeries LaFayette, C %26amp; A, etc. The Arc de Triompe, Tour Eiffel, and Louvre are very close to the area. Also take a short walk to the Madeleine area and visit Fauchon and Hediard gourmet shops. I%26#39;m trying to find a reasonably priced hotel in the area right now. I was in Paris in Dec. 2005 and stayed at Hotel d%26#39;Elysees just off rue Faubourg St Honore in the 8th district. I want to be closer to the Champs Elysees. Oh, check out the famous restaurant, Maxim%26#39;s.




|||



I don%26#39;t have the shopping gene that lindilou has :-) so I%26#39;m not very fond of the CE. It IS too commercial and it%26#39;s too much like any city%26#39;s average shopping mall (except for the prices). The most interesting places to shop in Paris are the little boutiques in my opinion. I agree that it%26#39;s a great district but I think there%26#39;s a lot less to do there after you%26#39;ve seen the Arch, visited the grand stores, and walked the boulevard. You%26#39;d have a much richer experience in Paris if you pick something within a half mile of Ile St. Louis, the east end of the 1st, the 4th, 5th or 6th Arr.




|||



I%26#39;m with Metromole on this one. I think the Champs is great for a visit, but %26quot;I wouldn%26#39;t want to live there%26quot; so to say. It%26#39;s busy, it lacks the charm that so many other areas of Paris are brimming with....





Also, it%26#39;s really not central. You can walk to the other side of town from here, but it will take a while...





But if you like opulence, the area around the Champs is for you. I enjoy visiting, as I said.





I enjoy staying in the 4th, 6th or even the 7th...





Les




|||



the only thing that i liked around that area - window shopping the designer shops and staring at posh building/hotels in side streets . the boulevard is a gigantic (12 lanes?6 and 6?) highway with a lot of trafic. closer to the arc - one side has some local restaurants, the other - chains like hard rock and mcdonald with lots of americans hanging out - not the parisian charm i was after;). there%26#39;s not much to see on foot, except shops and just wondering around. to walk to louvre area is VERY FAR. and towards that end is a park end with no shops or much to see. best area i liked was st.germaine de pres(spelling?)on the left bank. it%26#39;s quiet and lined with trees. we stayed near louvre which was very good for everything, but not as residential.




|||



We are going to be in Paris during Bastille Day, what would be the best area to stay in then? I have the shopping gene but would would like to experience the %26quot;charm%26quot; of paris not just department stores as well as capture as much of the bastille day celebrations as possible!




|||



You can see the Bastille Day celebrations, you just have to go to where they are.





I would stay central....4th, 5th, 6th, 7th arrondissement perhaps. The sixth is very popular and loaded w/ charm.





Les

No comments:

Post a Comment